All Other Counties: 801.709.6309



Citizenship application

We know the immigrant community has been hit especially hard during these difficult times. We are offering 30% off all immigration services.

Citizenship application

Citizenship application & naturalization

A foreign citizen can become a U.S. citizen after fulfilling the requirements as set out in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). To be eligible, you must be

  • 18 years or older
  • You must be a permanent resident for a certain amount of time, usually 3-5 years, depending on how you obtained your status
  • You must have basic knowledge of U.S. government
  • You must be able to write, read, and speak basic English. There are some exceptions to the rule. If you have a mental or physical impairment, you may be exempt from this requirement, as an example
  • There are exemptions to the English Language Test if you are 50 years old and have been a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) for 20 years, or are 55 years old and have been an LPR for 15 years; or are 65 years old and have been an LPR for 20 years.

If you are not sure you are eligible or qualify for naturalization, you can visit the Path to Citizenship page for additional information here: or contact us for a free consultation.

When you are ready to apply for naturalization, we can help you through the steps. Going through the process on your own can be quite confusing and overwhelming.

Trust Liberty Law to get you through the process with less stress and worry. We are readily available to answer any questions and help you successfully fulfill your dream of being a U.S. citizen.

We will first file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. There is a $640 filing fee and an additional $85 biometric fee.

You can file online or by mail. Applying online enables us to manage all of your applications and information in one place.

If you decide that you would like the mail the application, we can certainly do that though as well.

During the time of filing, we will need to make sure we collect all the necessary evidence with your application. Supporting evidence includes:

  • A copy of the permanent resident card.
  • If applicable, a copy of your marriage certificate.
  • If applying based on military service or are separated from service, we will need to fill out additional forms.
  • If you reside outside of the U.S., you will need to send two photographs with your name and Alien Registration Number written on the back of each picture.
  • Additional information is required based on the facts relevant to your case. For example, if you have children, if you took a trip outside of the U.S. for six months or more after becoming a lawful resident, if you have been convicted of an offense, if you owe child support, or if you failed to file your taxes. These and other circumstances will dictate the kind of evidence that we must send.

Whether you apply online or mail, you will receive a receipt of the application (formally known as Form 1-797C, Notice of Action). It usually arrives 2-3 weeks after filling. The biometrics appointment will follow.

USCIS will send you an appointment notice for the naturalization interview. During the interview, expect the officer to review the N-400 Application with you to confirm whether the answers provided initially are still correct. The officer will test your English comprehension skills and abilities. We will help prepare you for other aspects of the interview as well, e.g., the history/civics exam.

Upon completion of the interview, USCIS will provide us with Form N-652, Naturalization Interview Results. The form will provide information about the results of the interview. It will indicate whether you have been granted or denied naturalization.

Once successful, you will receive a notice to take the Oath of Allegiance (N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony). You only become a U.S. citizen after taking the Oath of Allegiance at a naturalization ceremony. Upon completion, you will turn over your green card and receive a Certification of Naturalization.

We hope to help you along your journey to becoming a U.S. citizen. If you need an immigration attorney in Salt Lake City, American Fork, or Clearfield, Utah, you can contact Liberty Law at 801-709-6309. We look forward to hearing from you.