All Other Counties: 801.709.6309



Consular Processing Procedure

Consular Processing Procedure

Our attorneys can help with consular processing

Consular Processing Procedure

Once you are the beneficiary of an approved immigrant petition and an immigrant visa is immediately available to you, there are two ways to apply for lawful permanent resident status (a Green Card). If you are outside of the United States, you apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate abroad for an immigrant visa in order to come to the United States and be admitted as permanent resident. This pathway is referred to as consular processing.

Steps for Consular Processing

Determine Your Basis to Immigrant: Most immigrants become eligible through a petition filed on their behalf by a family member or employer. Others become permanent residents through several other special provisions.

File the Immigrant Petition: May be eligible based on your family relationship with a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, based on employment, special categories or humanitarian programs.

Wait for a Decision on Your Petition: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will notify the petitioner of a decision. Once the petition is approved and you live outside the United States, USCIS will send the approved petition to the Department of State’s National Visa Center. The petition will remain there until an immigrant visa number is available for you.

Wait for Notification from the National Visa Center: The National Visa Center (NVC) will notify the petitioner and you (the beneficiary) when the visa petition is received and when the immigrant visa becomes available. They will also notify when you must submit immigrant visa processing fees and supporting documentation. 

Go to Your Appointment: Once a visa is available or priority date is current, the consular office will schedule you for an interview, process your case and decide if you are eligible for an immigrant visa.

Notify the National Visa Center of Any Changes: If you change your address, if you were under 21 but have now reached the age of 21, or you change your marital status.

After Your Visa is Granted:  You will receive a “Visa Packet”, which you must not open until you travel to the United States and are inspected by an officer at port of entry.  The officer will inspect you and determine whether to admit you into the United States as a lawful permanent resident.  If admitted, you will be able to live and work in the United States permanently.

Receive Your Green Card: You will need to pay a USCIS Immigration Fee ($220) to receive your Green Card in the mail after you arrive in the United States. You may make the payment before you enter the United States or after you arrive in the United States.

We can help.

The lawyers at Liberty Law will guide you in collecting the evidence that you need to submit, and we will assist you in completing the relevant USCIS and consular processing forms. The filing fees to submit in this process are $535 (Form I-130 Family Petition), $120 (Affidavit of Support) and $325 (Immigrant Visa). There is also the Green Card Immigration Fee mentioned above ($220).

USCIS and the National Visa Center will send confirmation of receipt of applications and supporting evidence throughout this process. If necessary, additional information may be requested.

We do recommend relying on our expertise and experience rather than going through the process alone. Not only will we dedicate ourselves to assist you in reaching the outcome you desire, but we will help you fill out the correct forms without error. This is indeed important, as without executing this step correctly, your application may be rejected.

Please contact the lawyers at Liberty Law today by calling 801-709-6309. We will be happy to assist you with your case as quickly and efficiently as possible. We will dedicate ourselves to make sure your case is handled professionally and with care. At Liberty Law, we believe you deserve the best.